Tuesday, July 7, 2009

General Service Unit (GSU)

Yesterday and today, I went to GSU or General Service Unit. It's a military boarding school and the men who join the military service of GSU are the ones who attempt to keep the people under control with force during riots (they worked a lot last year during the post-election violence).
I met all the children in the program who go there and got headshots of every one of them except one, I'll get him at the August camp. I also took a video of Alice Lavender who I chose to videotape for the "Day in the Life" videos. She did a very interesting poem which I think will be a great part of the video. I also photographed the entire facility and some of the students. I was planning to be there for three days but it only took me one and a half to get everything I wanted done (which I'm glad about because it takes about an hour to get there and back in a Matatu, that's rough). I also have time to edit the video which is good. My next school visit will be Topride this Friday; we only have a couple students there but it's good for me to see all the schools.

The pictures you see are a bunch of third graders that followed Paul and I around and some banana trees (all the students take an agricultural/farming course during their stay at GSU and this is one part of their garden).




No comments:

Post a Comment