Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Cold Milk

So last night, Paul and I moved to Andrew's house. It's a decent sized house but it's a step down from how we were living at Rose's. It's about an hours drive each morning to work which is a pain, they don't quite serve the same westernized food we were eating at Rose's, and the shower gives you a little electric shock if you touch the handle wrong (I'm still learning). But despite all this, I was extremley happy this morning to find that they had cold milk. I'm not talking about luke-warm or cool milk, I'm talking the real deal; ice cold, delicious milk. This is the kind of milk that dreams are made of. Other than drinking water out of a tap, eating fruit without having to worry about dieing, seeing more white women, and driving on the right side of the road; cold milk was the one thing I was craving here in Kenya.
I was also suprised to learn from Andrew that during the "cold" season here (which is July), children have to avoid eating or drinking cold items because it can sometimes cause a cold or even tonsillitis. I thought Peter was joking around when he was telling us he couldn't drink cold beer because it gave him the flu but I guess there's some truth behind it.

I've been working on some things that Paula has asked me to do lately. Along with taking more and more pictures, I'm making short one minute or less clips of children answering three questions:

What do you like best about Ngong Road Children Association?

What do you want to be when you grow up?

What message would you like to give to your sponsors?

I worked with five children today (three of which said they wanted to be a pilot when they grew up) and will be getting the other ten later this week. Then I'll just have to edit the clips together for each child to make a watchable clip.

No comments:

Post a Comment