Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Witches and Demons

So this week, Keith and I have been working together to try to find a way for the sponsors to access updated pictures of their sponsored child whenever they want. We are using a website called Dropbox to do this. It's a free file-sharing software that we can store up to two gigs of date onto (that's a good amount of free data). We are attempting to find a way to maintain the privacy of the child while maintaining the fluidity of mass email alerts and quick photo uploading. I'm running into some issues with this though; we may need to create an account for each child that the sponsor can check in to whenever they want (I feel like that may be the best way to keep upmost privacy for the child and sponsor) or we could just keep a folder of every child in one large folder and have the sponsor scroll down to their sponsored child and view the photos (this would be easiest for us but would take away some of the privacy aspect). We're still figuring it all out but I think this will be a really great system.
I have also been working on the "Voices of Ngong Road" videos this week and will be getting five more children today to answer the three questions.

An interesting thing Paul and I have run into when discussing religion with the case workers was the fact that they believe in witches, witchcraft, and demons. There has actually been witch hunts in Kenya while I've been here and I've seen women who were killed on the news because they were accused of being witches. This was a huge throw back to old American history with that whole Salem witch trial phase we went through. Men and Women accused of witchcraft have actually been burned alive on stakes here, I never thought I'd be alive when something like that could happen. The case workers were trying to give me reasons why they believed they were witches, they kept talking about how they ran around naked at night and scared people in their homes. I told them that that was called "streaking" and that a lot of people have done it, that doesn't mean they're witches. I respect Kenyans and how almost all of them are Christian, I think it's great that religion can bring millions of people together like it does here. The only problem is that sometimes, paranoia caused by these religious leaders and beliefs cause the death of many innocent people. This isn't just happening here with Christianity but it happens everywhere with all different religious sects. That's my little humanity issue rant for the day, thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment