Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Happy Birthday

So yesterday was my birthday. Tom came early yester-morning and spoke with all the staff about the camp next week. I worked on the net a little bit and worked with some case workers on the bios as well. Then we had the party...

Jackson roasted a goat and everyone was talking and drinking and limbo-ing, etc. All my host families stopped by too which was cool; so did Collin and Jeni (two Mzungu ministers who've been hanging out with us here at Ngong Road Children Association lately). Once the music came out, everyone started dancing with each other. At first, I didn't join in but then I felt the need to dance. So once I joined, I was put into the center of the circle where Tom dumped the FIRST bucket of water on me. I was soaked but I decided to keep dancing anyway. Everyone continued to dance and talk and drink until it was time for me to cut the cake. There wasn't a knife because it was used to cut the goat, so I was joking around acting like I was going to cut the cake with my hand. But then, a second bombardment of H2O was thrown on top of me so I felt that it was time to cut the cake, with my hands. This was a mistake; Jackie, Nixon, and a couple others starting grabbing the cake and covering my face with it. I then took some cake and got Jackie and Nixon back; when I turned around, everyone was grabbing cake and chasing each other around. Once everyone's faces were covered with cake, the cake fight died down. Then people started to wash off and head home.

Paul and I got to the office first this morning and we were frankly not very surprised at what we saw. Anyone who went to college knows that a good night is followed by a rough morning. There was dirt, cake, and goat everywhere. Paul and I began sweeping, mopping, wiping cake off of walls and doors and doing the dishes before the case workers and Tom got back to the office.

Overall, I'd say the birthday was a success (so much better than Paul's, no big deal).

No comments:

Post a Comment