Friday, July 10, 2009

Topride Maasai

So today we went to Topride where two of our first children in the program go to school. Neither of them meet the actual criteria of children allowed to enter the program because that was decided after they were techhnically enrolled (but each still do have some problems at home or have lost a parent). It's a great school and is deep into Maasai country which is pretty interesting. On the way there, I also saw some Zebras which I've never seen in the wild before so I thought that was cool (although the girls in the car didn't seem too impressed by them).
We also met a young Maasai man who approached us while we were waiting in the car for Veronicah to finish speaking with her assigned child. He seemed very nice but only spoke Swahili so I could only pick up a few words. But I found out that we were saying that if we gave him Mary then he would give us 14 of his cows. I told him "ng'ombe ishirini kwa Mary" which means "20 cows for Mary." He laughed and agreed (we didn't actually give him Mary but oh well). He also didn't allow me to take a picture of just him so I just cropped Mary out of some of the picture.
Right now, I am working on Alice Lavender's Day in the Life video and still getting all the headshots. Paul is working on the stat stuff still and he says it's ending up being a lot more than he thought it was going to be but he'll be fine. We also moved to our third homestay a couple days ago and Rose and her family are very westernized compared to other Kenyans. Usually, when I travel, I prefer to experience the culture to the fullest the entire time but I figure since I'm here for so long and that I'm not technically on vacation, a little westernization won't hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment